RSS

The Making of ‘Royal Milk Tea’ – Sakizou Artwork – Part 4 The Corset

30 Dec

First of all, I would like to apologize for how long it has taken me to post this – over Thanksgiving my entire family ended up getting the flu (or as I nicknamed it, ‘The thanksgiving plague’), and then for the weeks following I avoided working on RMT. I was kind of frustrated with the costume and needed a break.

Soo I started work on my other costumes that i’m also wearing to Katsucon, two of which are almost complete. I’ll be posting about one of them very soon, and I’m considering writing a post about this silly little thing. The idea stemmed from a project runaway challenge and a friend saying ‘you would be the most kawaii mountie’ and now I don’t even know.

tumblr_mfo2mnsSyl1qlijqyo1_1280

Anyway, Katsucon is quickly approaching and i’m debuting four (maybe five) costumes. I’ll be jumping between a lot of projects and can’t put as much focus into Royal Milk Tea, so updates might be slower.

Onto what this post is actually about! Corsets!

If you are new to reading my blog I would suggest reading the previous posts relating to this costume first.

The Making of ‘Royal Milk Tea’ – Part 1 Conquering the Bustle

The making of ‘Royal Milk tea’ – Part 2  Starting the Sleeves & Skirt

The Making of ‘Royal Milk Tea’ –  Part 3  Socks & Stockings

I didn’t want to buy a corset pattern, because that would obviously be to easy….well honestly, that isn’t even the reason. Corsets need to be fitted so well, and I’ve never come across a store bought pattern that fits me properly, so I decided drafting my own was the better option.

Hahaha. Oh man I should have just bought a pattern, I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess corsets aren’t that hard but I didn’t have a clue about what I was doing. I think if I make one again I will be able to do it without any real problems…but this time around it was not fun.

This is how I drafted the pattern, but of course I made it way to big so I had to take it in a good four inches.

corset 1 Untitled-3 Untitled-35

I made a mock up and it ended up looking ok, I was pretty proud considering I had expected a far worse outcome.

IMGP0258

I had to do a lot of altering, because as I said, I made it several inches to large. I took 1/2 out of almost every seam.

IMGP0338

I tried it on and cut the hem to the angle I wanted, I also marked where the bra cups should go and stuff like that. Then I tore it apart to get my new and improved pattern.

DSC_8291Now, corset attempt #1 didn’t go so well. Things didn’t line up properly, I made it to long…the boning poked through the bra cups, the blue lining showed through, and I didn’t sew the busk in properly so the front seriously fell apart. It was an absolute mess and as much as I wanted to, I couldn’t save it.

I didn’t take any photos of it because I ripped it apart as soon as I got the chance, but here is the awful grainy photo I have of it. It’s not laced up here at all which is why it looks boxy. But you can see the bra cups don’t line up and the front was falling apart. It doesn’t look that bad here, but you could actually see the light blue lining underneath the top layer so everything looked green.

IMGP0118Take two, luckily, went much better. I made it shorter and gave the hem a more dramatic slope. I also allowed space for the bustle by leaving it looser in the front!

IMGP0164My new pattern consisted of two layers of interfaced ivory taffeta, with the corset lined in flat backed dark green velvet. It’s an odd choice but so comfy, I love it.

IMGP0166

IMGP0165

IMGP0253

I cut apart a $3 bra that I snagged on ebay to get cups that fit me – it’s very difficult to find padded bra cups with boning in NYC. You have to buy the boning bit separate from the cups and in the end it costs $12 which is way to much in my opinion.

Royal Milk Tea has cleavage going on in the artwork, and i’m not sure if i’ll be able to duplicate that since i’m quite flat chested, but i’ll do my best.

IMGP0377

And this is what it looks like now, once again it’s loosely laced so it’s kind of boxy. I’m kind of incapable of lacing corsets myself. It should lace in another four inches at the waist when done up properly, which will make it look far better. The fit is okay and it doesn’t fall apart, so I consider it a success.

IMGP0378

For decorations I made 1/2 pleated portions for the front which are attached to little ruffles. They are hand sewn and tacked into place.

I cut up the gold leaf trim (which was also used on the skirt) and glued some of them on with my trusty hot glue gun.

DSC_8587

I also used some tiny gold and ivory braided trim to cover the seam between the pleats and the ruffle.

DSC_8592

DSC_8593

It’s not done yet, but it’s getting there!

This was kind of a boring post, which kind of makes sense since it was boring to make too.

The next post talks about rhinestones, bows, and shoes, so it will probably be more entertaining.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on December 30, 2012 in Cosplay, The Making Of

 

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: