Here is the second installment of making this pretty little dress I dreamed up! If you haven’t already, you can read part one right here.
For once I was very diligent in my photo documentation, so this shall be more of a photoblog then a…erm, blog!
The next major step was creating the sleeves. In the last dress I made, which was somewhat similar to this, I left the sleeves for last and ended up regretting it. So I dove right in!
I started with a sketch, and some measurements.
And then It got turned into a pattern
Once they were cut out the edges were folded to create a finished edge. Between each piece I sewed on a 1/2 strip of my white brocade material. Each of these were originally two inches wide, then folded over, ironed, and sewn into place.
I ended up sewing them all onto a base of red velvet. This required a lot of yelling at my machine and ripping out, since getting the white right against eachother without any gaps was very tricky!
I trimmed the velvet on the sides, and pinned it for a fit test which looked like so:
I sewed (carefully) around the edges of the white, and cut away the extra trim. Then It got sewn, and topstitched down onto the velvet.
After that the final piece was sewn into place, and I was ready to move onto the largest, and most complicated bit…
The poofy sleeves of doom….
I really despise making poofy sleeves, so i’m not sure why I continuously put myself through this. But I do, and I will probably continue to do so.
Damn pretty sleeves….
I went ahead and drafted a ginormous poofy sleeve pattern, then I cut it from my maroon satin and fused interfacing onto the back. (The larger the sleeve, the more support it needs.)
Then I went about creating the tricky part. I called these “sleeve doohickeys” throughout making them but ended up googling the proper term for this post and have discovered they are called “Paned sleeves”…I think.
(I also learned about a sleeve nicknamed “imbecile sleeve” which I might have to make next just for the hell of it)
I started out with 2.5″ interfaced strips!
Which were cut to the proper-ish length…
The edges were turned over and sewn down, giving me 1.5″ strips.
Then I cut out 2 inch wide strips of my brocade, which were folded and ironed into 1″ strips.
When the paper was pealed off, I ironed silver ribbon atop it, which sealed the edges up nice and pretty!
These were then pinned onto the base sleeve I created earlier, and were trimmed again, this time more precisely.
I sewed around the edges and then gathered it down by hand, I had to use pliers since there were so many layers of material to stitch through!
This was sewn onto the fitted portion I created earlier, and voila!
Then I had to make another one…
All they needed were side seams done up, but being impatient, I pinned them on for a few photos.
That’s that! Not to shabby, if I do say so myself. Working on this makes I feel like i’ve progressed a lot, even just in the last few months from when I made my red/gold gown. I’m really proud of it so far, and hopefully it will continue on that way!
Thanks for reading! x