Making A Butterfly Crown

02 Jul

I actually attempted to film making this, the key word is attempted. I forgot how bright my desk gets in the afternoon and all the footage ended up too over exposed to bother with. Of course I had to use the camera I usually use for photos to film, which is why I only ended up with three pictures of the process. I wasn’t even going to post about it, but I got so much positive feedback about this on tumblr I decided to make one anyway.

Fair warning – it’ll be more wordy then usual!

My butterflies were bought at Michaels, they carried a few different sizes, colors, and brands, but I ended up going for the large twelve pack of imitation Monarchs. The ones I picked are by the brand Ashland Nature Center, and thanks to a fifty percent off coupon I only ended spending $6 on them!

These butterflies are made from feathers which have been painted and mounted on plastic bodies. No animals were harmed in the making of this crown!

I also used orange and brown glass beads, wire, a strip of linen, and a five inch piece of beaded trim. The beaded trim was disassembled until I had a pile of crystals and pearls to use for decoration, which is why you don’t see it in the picture below.



The first step is creating the base of your crown. I did this by measuring my head and adding a few inches – I wanted this to rest pretty low and I planned to wear it with wigs, so it needed to be larger.

Then I cut a one inch wide strip of linen that was the same length. I turned the edges inward and sewed it into a tube so the end result was a 23″ long strip of linen, with all the edges finished. I made mine a little over a quarter inch wide.

I cut a piece of wire slightly shorter the the strip of linen and threaded it through the linen. The cloth covering makes the wire look less harsh and gives a base to sew beads onto, so it’s pretty important!

Once I had the wire in the linen strip I closed the end with thread, and bam, you have a crown – sort of. The shape doesn’t really matter at this  point since you handle it so much during the beading process you’ll have to reshape it anyway.


Then using a very small needle I beaded the thing – I created a lot of dangle bits and tried to create a solid (though not dense) covering of beads over the linen. I didn’t go in a very particular pattern, and it only took me an hour to do.


Once  I was finished with the beading I added the butterflies. Since these are made for floral arrangements, they already come with two pieces of wire attached. All I had to do was wrap the wire around my crown, then snip and hide the ends!

So that’s that. Total time was a little over an hour, for me the cost was only $6 since I owned everything except for the butterflies – I think it’s well worth it. Having a butterfly crown definitely makes life a little bit better.



DSC_7017Thanks for reading!



Tags: , , , ,

10 responses to “Making A Butterfly Crown

  1. hexxwhat

    July 2, 2014 at 10:54 am

    This is a really cool crown and the method of putting lining over the wire so it could be beaded was really clever. I must say I was surprised when you said the butterflies were made by Ashland because I didn’t know they made art supplies. They are a literal nature center near where I live that raises monarchs every year in a butterfly house to be released in the spring to help with their population. Among other things. Anyway, again the crown is lovely and thank-you for sharing your process.

  2. Ko

    July 2, 2014 at 12:36 pm

    Beautiful! Like a less extreme version of my favorite Alexander McQueen headdress. 🙂 I might have to try something like this myself.

  3. vixilerue

    July 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm

    wow such attention to detail

  4. Carla

    July 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm

    Oh this is super pretty! Thank you so much for sharing it! I might have to make myself one.

  5. Charity

    July 2, 2014 at 6:03 pm

    Ohh, I love that! It’s beautiful… I like the addition of the beads.

  6. Carrie_Hearts

    July 2, 2014 at 6:53 pm

    Really beautiful! 🙂 I love the photos you took wearing it- the orange lipstick is a perfect touch 🙂

  7. Emily

    July 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm

    Wow, this is beautiful! And you look absolutely gorgeous with that black wig against your pale skin!

  8. Patsy Desautel

    July 3, 2014 at 11:12 am

    Beautiful crown, going to make one for my 4 year old 🙂

  9. kelleynymph

    July 4, 2014 at 10:22 am

    beautiful work!

  10. patricia

    July 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

    Very beautiful work!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: